How to set parameters like Manufacturer, Device, Os version, Device Name and so on...

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:35 AM
I have a little but maybe stupid question, i am new to this SDK for google analytics, i have tried it to track pageviews. but how i can set to track generally al the other device parameters like Os version, Manufacturer name, Device Name, Os version?! is it possible and how?!
Coordinator
Aug 31, 2013 at 2:24 AM
For Windows Phone this is automatic. GA uses the user agent to gather this info (which the SDK provides). Win8, unfortunately does not expose this via the Windows APIs (AFAIK), therefore it is not possible to provide this level of detail to GA aside from the fact that it is Windows 8... otherwise this SDK would have this built in.

Tim
Aug 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Edited Aug 31, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Oh thats very good, i have not read about his anywhere here so i had to ask and i my first tests in the emulator for 7.1 i have seen only screen views and no device or manufacturer, os version and so on. therefore i asked. but i will test on my wp8 device and report here what happens.

Little update on this post, i have looked again on my google analytics for this app and i have installed it also on my phone and it seas only in the "real-time" tab the app version and the windows i set to track like in the tutorial the main window. But i dont see any other info about device or any other information coming in. does this take time or do i have to do this with more users so it shows up? because i want to implement this in my next version i will submit monday and want to know :)
Aug 31, 2013 at 11:20 AM
timgreenfield wrote:
For Windows Phone this is automatic. GA uses the user agent to gather this info (which the SDK provides). Win8, unfortunately does not expose this via the Windows APIs (AFAIK), therefore it is not possible to provide this level of detail to GA aside from the fact that it is Windows 8... otherwise this SDK would have this built in.

Tim
I think i have found what i have done wrong, the Id_cap_identity_device and id_cap_identity_user was turned off i switched them on to look what it brings. maybe therefore the data was not collected.
Coordinator
Aug 31, 2013 at 10:04 PM
You shouldn't need to set those capabilities to get GA to recognize the device. I have a WP7 and WP8 version of my app both using the SDK and they report devices correctly.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is a known issue with the WP APIs where the DeviceName and DeviceManufacturer are not reported correctly only in an app that targets WP7 but is running on a WP8 device. Could this be what you're seeing? If so, see my suggestion at the bottom of the thread.
Sep 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM
It show now some analytics, but i have this "bug" you say here it shows my lumia 910 HTC hd7 this is because of my project it is build for 7.1 and wp8 users use it, now i will split the two in the same project. Hope this fixes this and the reports will see then the right devices... It is strange to look at this right now it shows a htc hd7 with Os version 8.0 :) but thank you so much for this link here to split my project. What you would suggest me is the best way to do this of this few?! i will not use any of the new features wp8 has built in so still the same code, but which to do now, do you have any experience?!
Sep 1, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Edited Sep 1, 2013 at 4:39 PM
timgreenfield wrote:
You shouldn't need to set those capabilities to get GA to recognize the device. I have a WP7 and WP8 version of my app both using the SDK and they report devices correctly.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is a known issue with the WP APIs where the DeviceName and DeviceManufacturer are not reported correctly only in an app that targets WP7 but is running on a WP8 device. Could this be what you're seeing? If so, see my suggestion at the bottom of the thread.
Hi Tim

now i have made a new project within my 7.1 app and upgraded it to 8.0 and changed some of the references in my app but now i get some warning within visual studio and i dont know what is it about?! i will attach an screenshot of the situation i think visual studio mixes up my references of these two projects within one solution. its just a nwarning and the apps are functional but i still ask if this can be "fixed" because a warning is still a warning Image

here is the picture link because i think it is not visible here above...
http://i40.tinypic.com/2lag0lj.png
Sep 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM
and i have another little thing that bugs me if you can help me with that, now i tried the app on my phone´and it send the wp7.* version to the phone, why?! is there any tutorial how to do it so i can check if i done it right?!
Coordinator
Sep 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM
This is a common issue with the Windows Phone Toolkit. Check out the guidance here.

...I think it just means you need to re-add the reference to a version of the toolkit make for WP8.
Coordinator
Sep 1, 2013 at 5:22 PM
To deploy your wp8 version to your phone, just right click on the wp8 version of you project and choose "Set as Startup Project". Then in your toolbar in VS, choose "Device" (vs. one of the emulators).
Sep 1, 2013 at 5:37 PM
i fhave this out now but how can i have these two version in one xap?! so my users that now have the wp7 app get with the next update the wp8 app? and the wp7 users get the wp7 version
Coordinator
Sep 1, 2013 at 5:50 PM
The way it works is... you build 2 xaps and submit them both for the same app update. When you go to the WP dashboard and create an update, you'll see a way to upload 2 different xaps. Then, users with WP7 phones will automatically get the WP7 xap when they update your app and Users with WP8 phones will automatically get the WP8 xap.
Sep 1, 2013 at 5:53 PM
i saw the feature on submission site but have not thought about this :) so all goes automatic if i submit two xaps, i hope so :) and thank you so much with your help - you are a good person!